Applications Now Open for 2014 Cycle
Deadline to Apply: March 1, 2014
Click here to complete the online application
Program Info & Requirements
Media accepted: Wood, Glass, Metal, Fiber, Clay, and Mixed Media
Applicants must be able to fulfill a program requirement of working in their studios 24 hours per week and at least two weekends per month during HCCC public hours. (This changes to 20 hours per week from July 4th – Labor Day, as HCCC is closed on Sundays for the summer.) Public hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, and Sunday, Noon – 5:00 PM. Closed Sundays, July 4th – Labor Day.
Juried selection is based on quality of creative work, ability to interact with the public, career direction, and program diversity. Accepted artists will be notified via e-mail in April.
- 5 to10 residencies awarded
- 3, 6, 9, and 12 month residencies available
- Residency cycle begins in September and ends in August
- Residency start dates and length determined by program review panel
- $500 monthly stipend
- $300 quarterly housing/materials allowance
- 24 hour access to 200-square-foot artist studios equipped with sinks, telephones, and wireless Internet access
- Wide variety of resources and opportunities, including teaching assignments through HCCC and collaborative works with fellow residents
- During the residency, artists’ creative work is represented by HCCC and is considered for display in the Asher Sales Gallery
- Additional opportunities, such as discussions with curators and gallery owners, exposure at HCCC events, and interactions with visiting art professionals
- Ongoing professional development
- Group exhibition at the end of residency cycle
When you complete the online application, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Letter of Intent
In one page or less, provide a brief description of your work or project to be completed while in residence, your career direction, and why you should be awarded a residency at HCCC.
Three pages or less.
- Artist Statement
In one page or less, describe your creative work, process, technique, and conceptual development.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
You will be asked to provide contact information for 3 references. The recommenders will receive an e-mail with uploading instructions on how to submit their letter of recommendation online.
- Images of 10 works created within the last 2 years
Upload one wide shot and one detail of each piece for a total number of 20 images.
- International applicants – proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
International Applicants must provide proof of ability to work in the US— green card or appropriate visa—with application.
For questions regarding the Artist Residency Program, contact Miriam Mendoza at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713-529-4848 x112.
For technical assistance with the online application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 1.855.238.9241 Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM CST.
Please note that the deadline falls on a Saturday and Slideroom does not offer technical support during the weekend. Please try to submit on a weekday in case you need technical assistance.