Asher Gallery, within Houston Center For Contemporary Craft, is a retail showcase for acclaimed local, emerging, and national artists in all craft media. Asher Gallery accepts work based on a number of criteria. Please send submissions to Asher Gallery Manager, Suzanne Sippel, via USPS or electronically to email@example.com. Appointments may be scheduled by the Asher Gallery Manager after submissions are reviewed; however, not all submissions will receive a reply. No walk-ins will be considered.
The Asher Gallery works on a 50/50 split consignment basis. Accepted artists are responsible for shipping and insuring any work to HCCC. HCCC assumes responsibility for shipping and insuring work returned to artist.
- Design: includes originality, creativity, use of color and suitability of materials
- Craft Skills: finishing details, technical skills and experience with the materials, function and/or decorative merit
- Sales: marketability, pricing and product presentation
The following categories of craft objects may be submitted:
- Objects of clay, fiber, wood, metal, glass and other repurposed or recycled materials
- Craft using manufactured parts, pieces or fabrics, if these materials are subordinate to the total design and production of the end product
The following categories are NOT eligible:
- Two-dimensional artwork including paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, posters, etc. in which craft media is not incorporated
- Works executed from commercial patterns, molds, stencils or kits of any description
- Products made solely by assemblage of purchased commercial objects, or solely by decoration of commercially produced products
- Handmade, unfinished materials/supplies produced to make other products (such as dries flowers, spun wool, beads, etc.)
- Craft products made of consumable materials, such as food preserves.
Please note that, although work might meet all of the criteria at an acceptable level, the Asher Gallery Manager reserves the right to refuse work based upon suitability to the atmosphere of Asher Gallery, the number of artists carried and available space. Artists may continue to submit presentations to the Asher Gallery Manager as new bodies of work are created; these will be considered separately from original submissions.
- Seven (7) to twelve (12) high-resolution images in jpg format. Images should be a minimum size of 300 dpi and 4 x 6 inches. Please include the dimensions and materials for each artwork. Please include a range of pieces that best represent your work.
- A list of retail prices for the works submitted
- An artist statement of approximately 200 words describing the processes used in the creation of your work and the ideas or concepts that you are interested in communicating
- Artist resume
- List of galleries (including locations) where you are currently represented
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
ATTN: Suzanne Sippel / Asher Gallery
4848 Main Street
Houston, TX 77002
Or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that it may take up to 6 – 8 weeks for a reply. Submission materials will not be returned.