Become a Volunteer Today!
Volunteering with HCCC can be a great way to learn more about contemporary craft, give back to the Houston community, and even build your skills and resume toward a future career in the arts. We are always looking for new faces to join our wonderful team of volunteers. The following opportunities are available:
- Docent: Lead insightful tours of our exhibitions, craft garden, and resident artist studios! Learn how to engage visitors of all ages as you both ask and answer questions about the artworks on view. All docents receive training on tour strategies and content prior to each new exhibition.
- Ask Me Docent: Lead five-minute “mini-tours” on one or two objects at a time! Engage with visitors of all ages as you answer questions about the artwork, lead compare and contrast observations, and encourage young visitors to complete the activity guide. Ask Me Docents receive training on tour strategies and content prior to each new exhibition, and act as a resource for visitors. Volunteers in this position are stationed in the galleries during HANDS-ON HOUSTON and other high-volume events.
- Craft Volunteers: Pass out materials, demonstrate a craft process, and assist participants of all ages in our monthly HANDS-ON HOUSTON family activity. Learn each craft by making your own sample to take home with you.
- Visitor Services: This is a great opportunity to interact with our community. Greet visitors to the building and acquaint them with all that HCCC and our surrounding neighborhood have to offer. Answer visitor questions over the phone and in person. This volunteer position is stationed at the front desk and in the galleries.
- Garden: Enjoy the sunshine and get your hands dirty as you weed, plant, and mulch while taking care of the fiber arts plants in our Craft Garden! Garden volunteers meet most Wednesday mornings.
- Administrative: Help HCCC staff with a variety of clerical and administrative tasks, such as filing, mailings, and data entry.
- Internships: Some project-based internships occasionally available. If interested, please inquire about opportunities before submitting your application.
An ideal volunteer will have a passionate interest in craft, be reliable and punctual, and be able to commit to 10-20 volunteer hours per year. If you are interested in applying to become a volunteer, please click here. For more information, please contact Education & Programs Manager, Tarina Frank at email@example.com.
We look forward to meeting you!